When it comes to baking, working with gluten-free flour is the greatest challenge. I experimented with a flour I discovered not long ago- made from oats. I found it added a richness and fluffiness no other flour suitable for allergybabe could achieve. So here is my latest, and, so far, best recipe for chocolate cupcakes.
100g gluten free oat flour
100g gluten free bread flour (Doves farm)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
50g caster sugar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate
pinch of salt
50g pear sauce
30g cocoa powder
100ml oat milk (*if you use rice drink#)
100ml sunflower oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 package of moo free chocolate chips
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 5
– Place liners in a cupcake tray
– Sift the flours and salt into a bowl. Add the baking powder and the cocoa powder. Stir in the sugar.
– In a separate bowl, mix together the oat milk, bicarb, vanilla, pear sauce and oil.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix, until well combines.
– Fold in the chocolate chips
– using a large nozzle, pipe the dough into cupcake liners and bake for approx. 23 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
– Cool on a wire rack.
Can be enjoyed on its own or with an orange blossom icing (or try the grown-up version: Grand Marnier Buttercream Icing).
# please be aware that rice drink is not recommended for children under the age of 5 due its arsenic content